OXNARD, Calif.—On July 18, Gills Onions announced a recall of various onion products that might be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The company then expanded that recall on July 25 to include diced, slivered and whole peeled onions, along with diced onion and celery mixes, distributed to Arizona, California, Colorado, Illinois, Montana, New York, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Utah and Washington (see “Gills Onions Expands Voluntary Recall of Diced and Slivered Red and Yellow Onions, and Diced Onion and Celery Mix Because of Possible Health Risk” on the FDA website for the growing list of products affected by the recall).
Over the last several days, multiple other companies have issued recall notices in connection with products that used Gills Onions:
- Whole Foods Market locations in Florida
- Simmering Soup, with distribution to Trader Joe’s stores in Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia
- Wegmans in three Pennsylvania cities
- Cool Creations, with distribution to retailers in Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri and Oklahoma
- Huxtable’s Kitchen for several products distributed to Trader Joe’s stores in Arizona, California, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon and Washington
- Spartan Stores, Grand Rapids, Mich.
- GH Foods CA, LLC for multiple products distributed to retail stores in Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Oregon, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, South Dakota and Utah
Complete details on each recall can be obtained by clicking the links.
- 7/30: Ken’s Foods, The manufacturer of Golden Corral Tartar Sauce, Dickey’s BBQ Bean Sauce, Lee’s Cole Slaw Dressing, Fatz Tartar Sauce and Ken’s Tartar Sauce, distributed to stores in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Wisconsin
- 8/1: Publix, sub sandwiches sold in stores in Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina and Tennessee
- 8/1: Garden Fresh Foods, Milwaukee, Wis.
- 8/6: Busch's Fresh Food Market Recalls Prepared Deli Products